Friday, August 15, 2008

Vareniky, Fried Cabbage & Cornbread

Here's a photo of the vareniky, fried cabbage and cornbread we had for Dad's birthday supper. (I'll post a photo and recipe of the chocolate cake later). I found the original recipe for vareniky in my cookbook, More-With-Less by Doris Janzen Longacre. The recipe was submitted by Mrs. Susan Duerksen and Mrs. Ruby J. Wiebe of Hillsboro, Kansas. It is a cottage cheese and onion filled dumpling with cream sauce. MMMMM, good! It goes GREAT with fried cabbage; and who can eat fried cabbage without cornbread? - Not me! (please see my Fried Green Tomatoes post for my cornbread recipe). Vareniky

1 lb. dry curd cottage cheese (may also substitute ricotta cheese)
1 1/2 tbsp. onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
3 egg yolks
Mix well until cottage cheese is in fine curds. Set aside.

Combine in a separate bowl:
3 egg whites
1 c. milk
2 tsp. salt
3 c. flour
Mix together, adding flour as necessary until dough is stiff enough to roll out. Divide into fourths.

Turn 1/4 of dough out onto floured board and roll out very thin, about 1/8 inch. Cut into squares or circles about 5in. in diameter. (I use an old 1lb. coffee can). Repeat until you have a bunch of circles or squares (about 35-40) and all dough is used.
Place one rounded tablespoon of cottage cheese mixture on each circle. Fold over to form a half-moon. Pinch edges together well. Place on a slightly greased baking sheet placing greased waxed paper between layers. Meanwhile bring a large pan of water to boil.
Drop several vareniky into the boiling water. Cook 3-5 minutes. Vareniky will be done when they float to the top. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain. Keep warm. Repeat until all vareniky is cooked. Serve with the following cream sauce:

2 tbsp. butter

1 small onion, finely chopped

1 c. cream

salt and pepper to taste

left over filling, if any

Saute onion in butter until tender. Add cream, salt & pepper and left over filling, if any. Heat slowly, but do not boil. If sauce is too thin, stir in a little thickening (1tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 3 tbsp. water).

Variation: After trying the original recipe, please feel free to fill your vareniky dumplings with whatever your taste buds may be screaming for. (a cooked crab meat and pepper jack cheese mixture or maybe a cooked ground sausage mixture - the possibilities are only limited by your imagination).

Fried Cabbage

1 small head cabbage, coarsely chopped

1 large onion, coarsely diced

6 slices thick cut bacon, diced

1 tbsp. sugar

salt & pepper to taste

2 tbsp. olive oil

In a large cast iron skillet, saute onion, bacon, and sugar in olive oil until onions are almost ready to caramelize. Turn heat up to high, add cabbage, salt and pepper. "Stir fry" the cabbage, onion & bacon mixture until onions are caramelized, cabbage is wilted and edges begin to brown.

5 comments:

  1. This certainly is different from anything I have had or made before. I am going to run it by hubby and see if he would like to try this out. It looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    ~Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vareniky is a Russian Mennonite dish. One day on a whim, I tried it and we all loved it. After trying it with such success the first time, I decided to try it with different fillings. So far, I've made it with a sausage filling and a crab & pepper jack cheese filling - both were big hits at our supper table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow the sausage filling sounds yummy to me and I bet hubby would enjoy the crab filling. Ok, you have inspired me to make these.

    ~Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your recipes and can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I l love all your recipes and can't wait to try this one! Thanks for taking the time to post all this good information.
    Becky

    littlecabintimes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B