Sunday, November 23, 2008

Simplified Sundays

Since I wrote on observing a Sabbath in my article, Godly Stewardship, Part V, I thought I'd share a glimpse into our Sabbath with you.











We begin our Sabbath by attending church. Notice in the above photo, we don't even make our beds on Sabbath. (I will wash the day's dishes before bed tonight). After church we enjoy a very simple crock pot meal or chef salads. Today we enjoyed chicken stew, cheesy toast and iced tea or water. After our meal we usually find a comfy place and relax for a while - aren't OG & EJ precious when they sleep?
Here's my Sabbath chicken stew recipe & routine:
Sabbath Chicken Stew (only 15 min. prep time)
1 1/2 c. chicken, cooked & de-boned (left overs are great)
2 - 3 c. left over vegetables (today I had carrots, spinach, peas and corn)
1 small potato, cubed
1 stalk celery, diced
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 1/2. c. water, divided
2/3 c. cream of anything soup mix (recipe below)
salt & pepper to taste
When I first get up, I place the chicken, left over vegetables, potato, celery, onion and 1 c. water in crock pot on HIGH heat. I then prepare a simple breakfast (we usually have muffins & fruit), get myself and everyone else ready for church. Before leaving, I reduce the crock pot heat to LOW. Upon arriving home from church, we change into comfy clothes and then I head to the kitchen. In a saucepan, combine cream of anything soup mix and 1 c. water. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until thick, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat, vigorously stir in remaining 1/2 cup water. Pour cream soup into crock pot and stir well. Replace crock pot lid and set dining table. Serve with crackers or bread. 8 servings
Cream of Anything Soup Mix (about 5 batches, doubles well)
2 1/2 c. flour OR 1 1/2 c. cornstarch
2 c. dry milk
1/2 c. chicken bullion powder
2 tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. pepper
Mix all ingredients well. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place.
To Reconstitute:
Heat 1 1/2 cups water over medium heat until simmering. Add 1/2 c. flour base OR 1/3 c. cornstarch base soup mix, stirring constantly, until thickened.
(equal to one 10 1/2 oz. store bought can. For cream of mushroom, add 1/2 c. canned or fresh sliced mushrooms; for cream of chicken, add 1/2 c. diced cooked chicken; for cream of celery, add 1/2 c. diced celery; for cheddar cheese soup, add 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese.)

3 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike...our Sunday meals are 99% of the time a crockpot meal. Today was no different...I made gumbo last month and froze a container and canned a few jars as well. So today we put the thawed gumbo in the crockpot and let it heat away while we were at service. All we had to do when we got home was make a pot of rice and lunch was good to go.

    ~Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome :) I rather enjoyed doing almost nothing yesterday, all I did was make some muffins for breakfast, and some mashed 'taters for our thanksgiving fellowship meal at church last night. Although I may have used my brain too much with all that Mahjong in the middle ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also try to keep Sunday as a day of rest. It makes sense. We usually eat sandwiches. I try not to do any unnecessary work, and we do our best to avoid shopping or eating in restaurants. Not easy in our mad-dash way of living, but important. A sabbath, or intermission, is a "creation ordinance", that is, it was in place before the Ten Commandments were even given.
    Good job, Mrs. B.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B